Saturday, March 29, 2014

Reading YA books and My March Book Haul

Hi There Blogosphere,

So i yet again apologise for my lack of blogging. I'm just a horrible blogger. I seem to always forget to blog things, which i need to fix! I promise i'm going to try and start reviewing more books on here. But in the mean time there is something that i've been thinking about lately and Lauren Destafano on twitter was talking about the same topic on today so i thought i would share my thoughts.

That topic is adults reading YA books. It seems that if you are over the age of say, 19 you should immediately cease reading all YA books and stick to adult books. At least thats what some people seem to think.

I have been asked why i don't read more adult books. I am 29, i guess people think that i am to old to be reading YA books. But heres my question, why is there an age limitation to any books? Obviously some books are not meant for the younger audience, sex scenes, violence and general adult content. But i don't see why it is not ok for someone who is an adult to pick up a book written in the YA or even middle grade genres. I don't understand why, to some people, it is frowned upon.

To me limiting yourself to books based on your age range is limiting the amount of wonderful worlds you can encounter. i can't imagine not having picked up the Hunger Games because it was for teenagers, or a better example, not having read Harry Potter because it was aimed at kids. I don't see an age range when i shop for books, i see a story that interests me. I don't care if i find that book in the "teenage" section or in the "adult" section, i only care that the book that i am reading is going to keep me entertained.

I do see the lines blurring more and more between age ranges and books, i think that's wonderful. But then today Lauren mentions an article. The article that Lauren was talking about this morning seemed to imply that YA books had no hard hitting topics in them. While that is the case for some YA books, that is not the case for all of them. The fault in our Stars and A Monster Calls just to name a two. Lets be honest here, not all adult books have hard hitting, deep topics to them either *Cough Fifty Shades of Grey Cough* (Although it does have a lot of Adult content in it, no hard hitting topics)

I guess all i am trying to say is, no matter what age the book was intended for, if it sounds like something that you are going to love, give it a go. You never know what you're missing out on because of sticking to your age books.

I'm just going to end this by saying, I own and have read a fairly good mix of YA and adult books, and i have a good mix of favourites from both age ranges. Please don't let the section a book is placed in, in the book store, stop you from reading what could be the book that changes your life.

Until Next Time
May the Odds be Ever in Your Favour.

Manda
(The Glittery Nerd)

P.S Check out my March book haul, Maybe you'll find that book :D


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...